Sunday, April 3, 2016

March Favorites

Hi World!

April is here, so it's time for another favorites post! Here are some of the things I loved in March.

Artist

Little Mix

(Source)
This favorite is a bit of a surprise for me. If you know me, you know I love the girl group, Fifth Harmony. I've heard that if you like Fifth Harmony, you can't like Little Mix, and vice versa. I'm here to tell you that that statement is incorrect. Little Mix songs slayed my ears last month. I fell in love with their song, "Black Magic," a couple months ago when one of my Zumba instructors created a routine for the tune. I decided to explore the rest of their music after I bought "Black Magic" and now have a total of nine songs from them. I admit, though I think Little Mix is great now, I gotta say I'm still a bigger fan of Fifth Harmony. No shade though, these British girls can sang. Their harmonies are on point and I very much love that they sing lots of ballads. I don't get as many of those with 5H and I love me my ballads.

Song

"Secret Love Song, Pt. II" by Little Mix

Speaking of Little Mix ballads, one of them is a March favorite. This song is actually a follow up to a version of the song with Jason Derulo. Mr. Derulo makes great pop music, but I preferred the version of the song without him. Part II of "Secret Love Song" is more emotional to me and gives the girls and their voices a little more room to shine. I especially love Perrie's vocals here, clear and powerful. Part II has underlying LGBT themes, which I didn't catch until I read this article. So now I guess it's an unofficial LGBT anthem, which is cool. Anywho, I love the song, love the vocals, it's just great.

Watch Part I of the song and then Part II:



Honorable mention: "Gravity" by Sara Bareilles

I was introduced to this song, funnily enough, through another Zumba instructor, who played this during cool down. I love the lyrics. It's a beautifully written love song and it just sounds wonderful. This is some of Sara Bareilles' early released work, so homegirl's got talent. I don't know many of her songs, but I enjoy the handful of the ones I do know. She's got a good voice.

Here's the music video for it:


I don't have strong feelings for the music video, so I prefer like listening to the song on its own.

TV Show

The Real O'Neals

(Source)
I forgot how I came across this show. I think I might've seen a promo on TV or randomly clicked on it while browsing IMDb. It's about this seemingly perfect Catholic family, whose world turns upside down when the middle child comes out as gay. I think it's pretty funny and I love that they're giving young LGBT kids some more representation as they explore the character of Kenny, his coming out experience, and the gay community in general. I'm learning and laughing a lot. I also love the family. I particularly love how the older brother, played by Matt Shively, is so supportive of his little brother.

Check out the trailer:

Movie

"Zootopia"

I'm sure you've heard good things about this movie because it's done really well at the box office from what I've read. I saw it with a couple floormates, not expecting much out of it, and was pleasantly surprised. I found it really interesting and liked that it tackled real problems, including prejudice and discrimination, using the predator-prey situation as a metaphor for issues such as racism. I recommend seeing it. It was a good movie. Smart, cute, and entertaining.

Here's me and two of my floormates with a Zootopia poster after we watched the movie. That lighting though.
Here's the trailer:


Commercial

Walmart: Easter Surprise, Jelly Bean Surprise

This last favorite is super random. Usually, I don't really care about the commercials on TV, but this one caught my eye when it popped up while I was watching one of my shows online. I just think its really cute and I'd like to think I'd do something as adorably creative as planting a candy garden for Easter when I have kids. Well done, Walmart. Well done.

Watch it here:



What were your March favorites?

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment