Sunday, April 17, 2016

Spring Break At The Beach

Hi World!

Roughly three weeks ago, me and my friends decided to have a beach day to start off Spring Break. For two of us, it was the end of Spring Break because their schools are part of a different system than the rest of ours. Also, we wanted to have a bonfire with all of us to bid farewell to one of our friends before he left for a three week solo adventure in Europe. The day consisted of tide pool shenanigans and bonfire chats.

We started off that morning grabbing something to eat from a shopping center near our houses and buying materials for our bonfire: marshmallows, drinks, hot dogs, etc. I opted for a Rubio's fish taco and shrimp burrito. After that, we drove to La Jolla and found a nice little grass area above the beach to have a little picnic before going down to the tide pools.


Here are four of my friends on their towels under the shade of an umbrella having a lovely beachside meal. I think we all ate some delicious Rubio's.



After lunch, we headed down to the tide pools. This was some of the view as we ventured closer to the water. Isn't it pretty? It was a really nice spring day with the sun shining above us, and the water and the skies that were a beautiful blue. It almost felt like summer. Spring Break, you're such a tease.


This is a view of some of the tide pools. I had never been to tide pools before so I was excited when my friend suggested we go. Stepping on the wet moss wasn't the most pleasant experience, being quite squishy, but it was cool to see the sealife that was there. My friends brought little nets and buckets to catch some fish or crabs. We actually never ended up catching any fish, they're fast critters, but we did catch some crabs. STDs were rampant in La Jolla that day... jokes. I'm funny.


We were able to catch numerous crabs of varying sizes and named each of them. This little hermit crab was the first one we caught (by me, thank you very much *flips hair*). I believe we called him Little Jorge. Our other crabs included Felicia and Harold, among others.


Here's another one. This one was huge, aptly named Big Daddy. We found a bigger one later (but we weren't able to catch it), that we dubbed The Claw, because most of the time, all we saw of it was its large, menacing claw. That creature was terrifying. We spent at least a good half hour or so trying to catch it, but The Claw evaded us. Oh well, I'm scared to think about what it would've done had we caught it. Don't worry, before we left the tide pools, we released each and every crab and they were all still alive upon being set free.


Etched into the rocks at the tide pools were carvings of all shapes and sizes. Many of them were reminiscent of the carvings you see on trees in parks. You know, the ones with two people's initials inside a heart. Does that count as vandalism? Anywho, I just thought that they were interesting.


Here's a little snap of my friends exploring the tide pools and tracking sea critters in all of the crevices. By this time, a fifth friend joined us. Also, side note, the word "crevice" was used abundantly throughout the couple hours that we were there and lemme tell you, it brought me so much joy.


After the tide pools, we ventured to La Jolla Shores to try and find a fire pit for our bonfire. Me and and my friend Jennifer were tasked with finding a good pit. After arriving at the beaches, we decided to head down to the water first to soak our toes. The water was cold, but it felt nice to walk on the sand and just be on the beach. The sun was almost setting at the time, but still shone bright, and I took this candid picture of her as she walked towards the water.


After we located a fire pit and the rest of our "squad" joined us, we gathered in a circle with our beach chairs and towels to wait for our other friend to arrive. My friend Erin, who I've mentioned before, with her great photography skills, took this artsy picture as I stared off into the sunset. Thanks, Erin!


About an hour later, the sky turned dark, the air grew colder, and it was time to start the fire. My friend Nicole was in charge of maintaining the fire and she was adamant on keeping that flame alive. We were able to keep it going for a good couple hours. Our friend, Austin, who we were saying goodbye to (but not really, we saw him one more time before he left), had arrived by this time. He joined us as we roasted marshmallows and hot dogs. At the time though, it was still Lent, so me and Erin, who are both Catholic, couldn't eat meat. As a result, we potentially did the most rachet thing we've ever done in our whole lives. We bought frozen fish sticks before driving to the beach and stuck them on some skewers to cook 'em on the fire. Did it work? Yeah. Was it safe? Probably not. But like, I ate like 20 of them and I didn't throw up, so I'm calling it a success.

We spent a good couple hours talking at the beach, catching up and having some laughs before we left La Jolla. After that, two of us had to go home, but the majority of us continued hanging out for a few more hours before finally calling it a day. The remainder of us went to Denny's for a midnight snack (I had an Oreo milkshake) and played Exploding Kittens, which I mentioned HERE. It's a fun lil game.

All in all, it was a grand day with my friends and a nice start to Spring Break 2016. I'm really glad we were all able to see each other ('cept one) before school started again. Now, I have about five weeks left in the semester and have tons of work to do before summer break. Yay school (I love it, just not the homework).

It's probably been a while since it happened, but how was your spring break?

xx

Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr | Bloglovin'

No comments:

Post a Comment